This role is fundamental in providing specialist flood risk responses to planning consultations, ensuring the principles within Welsh Government's Technical Advice Note 15 (Development & Flood Risk) are applied to new developments, reducing the damage floods can do and helping to implement more flood resilient design.
Also under the requirements of the Environmental Permitting Regs, the Water Resources Act and the Flood and Water Management Act, Natural Resources Wales has a responsibility for ensuring work in or adjacent to Main Rivers and Coastal Defences does not adversely impact flood risk and the environment. This role assesses Flood Risk Activity Permits and checks compliance.
Job Specific Criteria:
- Qualifications & Experience - educated to degree level or equivalent in a scientific or engineering subject or experience in a similar role (ESSENTIAL)
- Excellent communication and analytical skills (ESSENTIAL)
- Good understanding of Technical Advice Note 15 (Development and Flood Risk) and/or a good understanding of the Town and Country Planning system – able to interpret and implement Welsh Government policy (ESSENTIAL)
- Good understanding of engineering principles, including construction techniques, technical drawings and temporary works method statements. (DESIRABLE)
- Good understanding of fluvial & tidal flood risk issues – including different mechanisms & sources of flooding, legislation and law (DESIRABLE)
- Awareness of river hydraulic principles, hydrology and hydraulic modelling software such as Flood Modeller PRO, TuFLOW etc (DESIRABLE)
See here for more information.