Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
Our People & Places Solutions business - reinforces our drive to improve the lives of people everywhere and epitomizes the "why" of what we do – the tremendous positive impact and value our solutions bring to our communities and society. From facilities delivering life-saving therapies and ensuring clean water to enabling the connection of people through all modes of transportation and providing access to technology – we're integrating a multitude of these solution elements to build the smart environments of tomorrow.
About the opportunity
Our Water and Catchment Management sector provides a focus for advising our clients on delivering sustainable drainage, flood risk management and civil engineering solutions. Water and Catchment Management comprises in excess of 400 staff based in the UK and Europe, but with reach into the Middle East, Australasia and America.
The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
To meet our growing UK business needs and future aspirations we currently have opportunities for Principal Geomorphologists to sit within our Water Science and Hydromorphology team in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester, Bristol or Reading. The successful people will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
With a keen interest in natural processes and water related issues you are commercially aware and work effectively to budgets and timescales. An enthusiastic problem solver, you like to innovate, find new solutions and improve ways to contribute. You are confident both working independently and collaboratively as a part of a multidisciplinary team. You wish to develop and expand your technical capability and welcome additional responsibility.
Responsibilities will include:
- Providing specialist geomorphological input to a variety of projects, in particular, but not limited to aspects of the Water Framework Directive, river restoration and design development for: flood risk management, infrastructure or engineered remediation projects.
- Mentoring and supporting junior staff.
- Checking and reviewing calculations and technical deliverables.
- Contributing to or technically leading on the development of bids and proposals concerning geomorphology related matters.
- Working in collaboration with other design disciplines to ensure the overall integrity of infrastructure designs.
- Liaison with contractors, stakeholders and regulators.
Here’s What You’ll Need
- A good degree qualification in a relevant environmental subject is essential, such as, Geology, Geomorphology, Geography or Environmental Science. A second degree e.g. MSc or higher qualification is desirable.
- Chartered with CIWEM or equivalent.
- Rounded knowledge and practice of fluvial geomorphology. A good understanding of relevant legislation, planning policy, guides and design standards relating to geomorphology.
- Strong report writing and presentation skills.
- An inclusive attitude and ability to work effectively as part of a diverse team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, experience in CAD would be beneficial.
- Experience of liaising with clients and managing projects.
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.