The course is designed to enable you to become a competent GIS operator with a practical focus on producing survey maps and analysing data derived from your surveys. Delegates will need to bring their laptop to the course, as no IT equipment is provided.
• The course will begin with an introduction to GIS.
• Basic GIS concepts will be explained and explored.
• The QGIS interface will be introduced and participants will learn how to open and explore data layers.
• Creating ecological data layers with QGIS will be covered, including point records of species and habitat mapping.
• Attribute table creation and management will also be covered.
• Easily available environmental data sources will be explored (e.g. open source base mapping and aerial photos, Natura 2000 site boundaries, river basins, soils & geology).
• Best practice in GIS data creation will be emphasised, including metadata.
• How to prepare maps for presentation in reports using QGIS will be introduced.