HR Wallingford is organising Protections 2018, the 3rd International Conference on Protection against Overtopping, taking place from 6th-8th June in the cultural Grange-over-Sands in the UK's Lake District.
This conference follows the very successful Protections 2016 event, the 2nd International Seminar on Dam Protection against Overtopping which took place in September, 2016 in Fort Collins, Colorado, USA. The inaugural event in this conference series was held during November 2014 in Madrid, Spain and attended by participants from 20 countries.
The increasing demand for dam, levee and seawall safety and flood protection has motivated new research and advancements and a greater need for cost-effective measures in overtopping protection as a solution for overtopping concerns at levees, dams and seawalls. This conference will bring together leading experts from practice, research, development, and implementation for two days of knowledge exchange followed by a technical tour of the Lake District including some of the impressive dams which can be found there. This conference will focus on:
- Critical issues related to levees, dams and seawalls
- New developments and advanced tools
- Overtopping protection systems
- Overtopping simulators/test facilities
- Overtopping failure mechanisms
- System design and performance
- Applications and innovative solutions
- Case histories of overtopping events
- Physical modelling techniques and recent studies
- Numerical modelling methods